Virginia students will have the mathematical and scientific knowledge
and skills necessary for success in society and for pursuit of a
Our MissionTo bring together education, scientific, corporate and public policy leaders committed to the sustained elevation of mathematics and science education to ensure that all Virginia’s students and citizens have the foundation required for life-long success in their daily lives, careers and society.
The Coalition• Articulates the need for improved mathematics and science education.
• Advocates rigorous standards and curricula for mathematics and science courses.
• Supports high-quality assessment and accountability systems that are congruent with learning standards and best-practices.
• Assesses critical needs in teacher education and works to implement policies that enable educators to stay current with advances in the STEM disciplines and learning theory.
• Researches best practices for teaching STEM and advocates for approaches consistent with findings.
• Provides reliable information about mathematics and science programs and related links with engineering and technology.
2015 Programs That Work Awardees
- The VMSC is invites you nominate effective student and teacher educational programs for the VMSC "Programs That Work" awards. The Coalition is interested in reviewing and recognizing exemplary STEM programs for which there is evidence of a positive impact on student and teacher learning. The application deadline is November 16, 2015. (more info)The U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation has recently issued a STEM report that honors VISTA, the Department of Labor's $32M grant led by VMSC board member Donna Sterling. Congratulations to Donna and George Mason University for this well-deserved recognition. (more info) VMSC Board approved a future-oriented strategic plan, Achieving Excellence in Mathematics & Science Education, at its November 2013 meeting. (more info)The VMSC is announcing an official "call for papers" for a Special Issue of The Journal of Mathematics & Science: Collaborative Explorations. The Special Issue will feature articles written by K-8 Mathematics Specialists and their Principals ... (more info)A set of resources for teaching a course on Diverse Learners for prospective Mathematics Specialists has been added to the course section of the Programs to Prepare K-8 Mathematics Specialists page ... (more info)The VMSC with the support of the National Science Foundation and the VA Department of Education offered a series of successful nine three-day workshops for Prinicpals of Elementary & Middle Schools ... (more info)Archived Announcements ...
- The VMSC has released its Position on Science Standards of Learning, Assessment, and Accountability. (more info)The VMSC Strategic Plan, Achieving Excellence in Mathematics & Science Education is available online. (more info)The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) commissioned a book entitled "The Elementary Mathematics Specialist's Handbook" (more info)The Special Issue of the Journal of Mathematics and Science: Collaborative Explorations on Scientific Inquiry and the Nature of Science is now available online. (more info)
- Horizon Research, Inc. recently conducted an external review of the VMSC workshop series designed for Principals of Elementary & Middle Schools (more info)VMSC Brochure (more info)
- Mathematics Specialists Research in Virginia: Higher Achievement & Quality Preparation (more info)