Virginia students will have the mathematical and scientific knowledge
and skills necessary for success in society and for pursuit of a
Our MissionTo bring together education, scientific, corporate and public policy leaders committed to the sustained elevation of mathematics and science education to ensure that all Virginia’s students and citizens have the foundation required for life-long success in their daily lives, careers and society.
The Coalition• Articulates the need for improved mathematics and science education.
• Advocates rigorous standards and curricula for mathematics and science courses.
• Supports high-quality assessment and accountability systems that are congruent with learning standards and best-practices.
• Assesses critical needs in teacher education and works to implement policies that enable educators to stay current with advances in the STEM disciplines and learning theory.
• Researches best practices for teaching STEM and advocates for approaches consistent with findings.
• Provides reliable information about mathematics and science programs and related links with engineering and technology.
- The VMSC is proud to announce that with support from the National Science Foundation and the VA Department of Education, we again are offering a three-day workshop series for Prinicpals of Elementary & Middle Schools ... (more info)
- On November 29, 2012, the Virginia Board of Education recommended that school systems be required to employ one Mathematics Specialist for each 1000 students in K-8 ... (more info)
- VA House Joint Resolution NO. 236 commending Virginia school boards that employ elementary and middle school mathematics specialists was approved on February 2, 2012. (more info)
- George Mason University selected to receive $28.5 million U.S. Department of Education grant to spearhead statewide STEM-focused initiative. (more info)
- In May 2010, the VMSC approved the whitepaper on the Nature of Scientific Inquiry and the Nature of Science. (more info)
- Principals of Elementary & Middle Schools - 3 day workshop series entitled: Principals Partnering to Raise the Ceiling and the Floor in the New Era of Mathematics Standards (more info)VMSC Brochure (more info)VMSC Task Force responds to need for white paper focused on the Nature of Scientific Inquiry and the Nature of Science (more info)
- Mathematics Specialists Research in Virginia: Higher Achievement & Quality Preparation (more info)